Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Glasgow

It has all turned into a bit of a shambles, really. Unfortunately the tech who was out with me on this tour, and who is the best I have ever worked with had to leave the tour because his mother passed away. He is so spot on with everything he does that I took him to the states with me a few years ago (although he is employed through a lighting company in the uk). He never stops working and generally does it with pleasure. The only time I have ever seen him make a mistake was when the band we were with decided to do a second encore after doing only one encore for six straight months. After the band walked off stage he immediately killed the power to the lights and started pulling things off the stage, workaholic that he is. He turned completely white as the band walked back on stage for another song. He quickly powered everything back on and actually managed to get it up and going before the song was done. So, he lost his mom and had to leve the tour straight away. I finished the load in, and basically had to decipher the esoteric color-coding system that is attached to any lighting rig. I got by alright, but had to make do without someone keeping an eye on things on the stage for me during the show. There was a bit of a mess of cables run here and there as I was trying to figure out what went where with absolutely no space on stage at all. All in all it was alright. The lighting company sent out a replacement tech who was someone that I had toured with years ago when I really had no idea what I was doing. He put up with me then, and he dealt with this present situation rather well too. The band decided that they wanted to see video of some of the shows. While these shows were the least accurate representation of the actual tour, we decided to tape them anyway. Back to London for proper shows in a proper venue. Also with proper pressure to make some big shows look really great.

No comments: